Slip & Fall Accidents

In general, a “slip and fall” accident refers to situations where a person is injured by slipping, or tripping, and falling due to a dangerous condition on another persons’ premises. When you enter or step onto someone's property, the owner has a legal responsibility to ensure that the property is reasonably safe and the person entering the property has a duty to exercise reasonable care.

Such falls can happen inside or outside a private or public building or house, on TTC property, sidewalks, grocery stores, malls, parking lots, restaurants, schools, banks, hospitals, and other private businesses due to a dangerous condition on the premises.

Records of what happened such as photographs of the cause of the fall and the type of shoes you wore are also important.

Typically, these types of accidents are caused by a number of factors such as:

• Bad flooring or broken stairs;
• Wet floors or unmaintained steps;
• Structural defects in a building or walk way;
• Unusual dangers including loose floor mats, rugs, or tiles;
• Poorly lighting, especially near steps;
• Elevators and escalators which are not working properly;
• Weather Related hazards including unsalted or uncleared ice and snow, and standing water;
• A crack or raised area causing an obstruction when walking;
• Stairs with no hand rail or with obstructions;
• Spilled liquids or debris left uncleaned at grocery stores;
• A pot hole in a driveway, road, sidewalk or parking lot;
• Falling merchandise or trip hazards in stores; and
• Other dangerous conditions and hidden hazards.

Liability laws affect public and private property differently, and there are different standards of maintenance that private individuals and public entities are held to so it is important to consult with an experienced lawyer to determine which set of laws apply to your case.

If the slip and fall occurs on municipal property, city, town or other public property the time limit to put the municipality on notice of a potential claim must be strictly complied with and the legal standard of negligence may be different from that which applies to other types of property. If you are injured on these properties, a short time period of 10 days applies in which you must provide the city or town with written notice of your claim, otherwise the courts may not recognize your claim.

To ensure that your rights are protected, you must act fast, and hire the right lawyers with the knowledge and experience to handle your claim.  The lawyers at Verma Injury Lawyers have successfully handled thousands of these types of claims in the past and we know exactly what to do to help you recover your losses. We work with other leading experts such as engineers, by-law inspectors, forensic investigators, and mechanics, in order to determine industry standards and who or what is responsible for your injuries, all in an effort to ensure that you obtain the compensation to which you are entitled.